Susannah Fullerton, OAM, FRSN
Susannah Fullerton, OAM, FRSN, majored in English Literature at the University of Auckland. She then completed a postgraduate degree in Victorian fiction and prose at the University of Edinburgh. For over 20 years Susannah has been President of the Jane Austen Society of Australia. She has lectured extensively on Jane Austen in Australia and overseas and has published many articles about Jane Austen’s works. She is the co-author of Jane Austen – Antipodean Views and published Jane Austen and Crime in 2004, and Brief Encounters: Literary Travellers in Australia (Picador) in 2009. Susannah’s latest books are A Dance with Jane Austen, Happily Ever After: Celebrating Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice and a new memoir Jane & I: A Tale of Austen Addiction.
Susannah is very well known on the Australian speakers’ circuit as a literary lecturer. She gives talks on famous authors, their lives and works, and on history, at the Art Gallery of NSW, State Library of NSW, ADFAS, WEA, schools and for a great variety of clubs and societies. Susannah uses her training in drama to delight her audiences with dramatic readings from novels and poems. Her interest in literature is wide ranging. She is a member of the Dylan Thomas Society of Australia, the Australian Brontë Association, the NSW Dickens Society and she is Patron of the Kipling Society of Australia. She has worked on literary prize committees, organised literary conferences and is a most experienced lecturer and group leader. To discover more about Susannah’s activities, visit www.susannahfullerton.com.au
- President of the Jane Austen Society of Australia
- Patron of the Kipling Society of Australia
- Member, the Dylan Thomas Society of Australia, the Australian Brontë Association, NSW Dickens Society, the Sherlock Holmes Society and of the Pepys Club
- Happily Ever After: Celebrating Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, Frances Lincoln Publishers Ltd, January 3, 2013.
- A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball, Frances Lincoln, First Edition, October 9, 2012.
- Brief Encounters: Literary Travellers in Australia, 1836-1939, Picador, 2009.
- Jane Austen and Crime, Jones Books, 2004.
- Jane Austen – Antipodean Views, Wellington Lane Press, 2001 (co-author).
- Finding Katherine Mansfield, an audio CD about the life and writings of New Zealand’s greatest writer written and recorded by Susannah for a UK CD publishing company, Crimson Cats Ltd.
Susannah first joined ASA in 2003 and has since led over 30 ASA literary tours including programs Italy, France, the United Kingdom, Canada and the USA. These include:
- Literary Landmarks of Northern Italy (2016)
- In Search of Literary France: A Book-Lover’s Tour of Paris, Northern France & the Channel Islands (2012, 2013 & 2016)
- Southern Charms and Comforts: A Literary Tour of the Deep South of the USA (2015, 2016)
- A Literary Tour of The East Coast of North America: Taking the “road less travelled” (2010, 2012, 2015)
- The Banks and Braes of Literary Scotland (2013)
- The Nearest Thing to Paradise: A Literary Tour of Southern France (2013)
- Literary Highlights of Southern England (2012)
- A Pickwickian Tour of New Zealand (2011)
- Exploring More English Literary Landscapes (2008, 2009, 2011)
- Exploring the Literary Landscapes of England (2003, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2014)
- Exploring the Literary Landscapes of Ireland & Scotland (2006, 2007)